Find out which are the safest towns in the safest state.
Connecticut, also known as The Constitution State, is the southernmost state in the New England region of Northeastern America, and features the highest income per-capita. Though the third smallest state in terms of area, Connecticut has a wealth of culture, art and beaches too!
This Nutmeg State has also reported to have a commendable safety record. According to the FBI, Connecticut’s overall crime rate is under 30%, compared to that of the rest of America. To glorify that number even further, Connecticut is also 65% safer than the rest of the country as a whole.
However, of all existing crimes, the residents worry about the violent crimes the most. And that is in spite of the numbers that show that Connecticut is in fact one of the safest states you can be in when in America. In a report in 2015, it was discovered that Connecticut has less than one violent crime per 1,000 people. And 28 cities in Connecticut cited no more than 10 violent crimes, while 4 cities, Weston, Easton, Madison, and Redding, reported no crimes at all.
Property crimes also existed at fewer than 15 crimes per 1,000 people. Somewhat similar to their violent crimes, it was also scarce in the different cities around the state. A congratulatory message was sent out recently to citizens and policemen who cited only 2 and 3 burglaries which happened in New Milford and Old Saybrook, respectively. In Shelton, a city with a population of over 40,000, only 300 thefts were reported.
Choosing the safest cities in CT
In a state with over 3.5 million people, choosing the safest city in The Land of Steady Habits, needed FBI reports as well as population data. Cities that had less than 5,000 residents were eliminated from the list together with cities that were unable to offer crime reports.
The violent crimes reported consisted of aggravated assault, robbery, murder, and rape. Property crimes consisted of burglary, arson, and motor theft. Below is a list of the top 10 safest cities in Connecticut. However, it is always advised that in spite of these great results, it is vital to remain proactice in taking security measures as one never really knows where crime will strike.
Here are the top 10 safest cities in Connecticut
- Weston, with a population of just over 10,000, 19% of whom work in New York everyday, is one of the most affluent communities in the United States. The city is a landscape of open spaces with and one quarter of the town dedicates themselves to using these open spaces.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.00
Property Crimes per 1,000: 2.3.
- Easton has a smaller population than that of Weston with 7,490 people at the 2010 census. They have Redding, Monroe, Trumbull, Fairfield, Weston, and Newton surrounding them and are the 2nd safest town in Connecticut. Men from Fairfield were the first settlers of Easton. Today, half the town’s property is owned by the Aquarion Water Company of Connecticut, the major supplier of water in the entire area.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.00
Property Crimes per 1,000: 3.13
- Madison. Known as the city with the longest public beach, is adorned by campsites, picnic areas, and a fishing pier. The city during summer is so popular that vacationers cause massive traffic jams. Madison also has a surf club with additional facilities for numerous other sports. They also offer other popular water sports activities such as kayaking and sailboat rentals.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.00
Property Crimes per 1,000: 3.18
- Wilton. Once rated by CNN as one of the top towns to live in. Popular for being an expensive city with wealthy residents, the are is full of open spaces, historic architecture, and extensive town services. Wilton is also home to a number of successful start up companies and have in fact, many Forture 1000 companies within a 30 minute ride from town.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.05
Property Crimes per 1,000: 3.98
- Ridgefield. Situated at the bottom of the Berkshire Mountains, this 300 year old community has a population of 24,638. They have 3 main events that take place every year. The Nutmeg Festival, the Antiques Flea Market, and the local farmers market. The Nutmeg Festival happens every August on Main Street and is organized by St. Stephen’s Church. It was originally created as an apron and cake sale. The Antiques Flea Market is held on the outdoor grounds of the Veterans Memorial Community Center in June of every year. And the local farmers market is held on Thursdays during summer.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.08
Property Crimes per 1,000: 4.14
- Canton. Farmington River runs through the city that is bordered by Granby, Simsbury, Avon, Burlington, New Hartford, and Barkhamsted. Collinsville, a town within Canton was once named one of the “Ten Coolest Small Towns In America” by Budget Travel Magazine.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.10
Property Crimes per 1,000: 4.73
- Simsbury. Now here’s a town with a number of accolades! 4th best town in Connecticut in Connecticut’s Magazine list of top places to live in 2013, 9th best town to live in by Time Magazine in 2015, with Simsbury High School ranking as the 4th best high school in CT by Niche and 9th best high school by the US News & World Report.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.12
Property Crimes per 1,000: 5.44
- Newtown is a rather small city with a population of about twenty seven and a half thousand people. Part of the town’s popularity is a result of their parks and recreation. There are numerous parks and have areas for swimming, tennis, baseball, softball, volleyball, lacrosse, football, and they also have trails.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.42
Property Crimes per 1,000: 5.30
- Monroe. The New York Times considers Monroe as a friend in need and deed. Monroe has over ten houses of worship that give its residents of all faiths a safe place to practice their religion, and they are also protected day and night all year long by three all volunteer fire departments operating from six fire stations.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.15
Property Crimes per 1,000: 5.66
- Suffield. This is a town that has 11 historical sites. These are Alexander King House, Babb’s Beach, Farmington Canal-New Haven and Northampton Canal, Gothic Cottage, Hastings Hill Historic District, Hatheway House, Hilltop Farm, John Fuller House, King’s Field House, Lewis-Zukowski House, and the Suffiend Historic District. A nice long walk along Main Avenue will reveal 18th and 19th century architecture and a popular tourist destination.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.06
Property Crimes per 1,000: 6.00
Regardless of where you live, feeling safe in your own home is what settles the mind and the heart. It is what gives you peace and happiness. It is what enables one to leave the family at home while you go to work. It is the most powerful feeling to know that you don’t have to worry. That being said, regardless of these results, always being aware and protecting your home with extra security measures will never do you any harm.